Performed by actor Richard Berry, the play resurrects the closing arguments of five attorneys in cases that had significant public impact in France.
Théâtre Raymond Kabbaz, the innovative performance space at Le Lycée Français de Los Angeles, kicks off its’ 19th season with “Plaidoiries” (Pleadings), a solo performance with famous French actor and director, Richard Berry, on September 13 & 14, 2019, at 7:30 pm. Performed by actor Richard Berry, the play resurrects the closing arguments of six attorneys in cases that had significant public impact in France:
- In 1972, Gisèle Halimi paved the way for the legalization of abortion with an astonishing speech in defense of a teenage girl and her relatives, on trial for abortion after a rape
- In 1976, Paul Lombard, makes the case for the innocence of Christian Ranucci who was one of the last men to be sentenced to death and guillotined in France
- Jean-Pierre Mignard defends the family of two boys, Zyed Benna and Bouna Traoré, who were electrocuted after taking refuge in a power station because they believed they were being chased by the police
- In 2009, this case involved a woman, Véronique Courjault, who killed three of her babies.
- Maurice Papon, convicted of crimes against humanity in 1998 for his part in the deportation of Jews under the Vichy government between 1942 and 1944: this case is a powerful reminder of French history.
The production is based on a book by Matthieu Aron, a longtime court reporter who is now deputy editor in chief at the newsmagazine L’Observateur. Without recordings, French trial arguments are generally lost to posterity to counter that, Mr. Aron opted to reconstruct 45 of them, using his own notes as well as shorthand court archives and lawyers’ copies of their arguments.
“Plaidoiries” adapts them back for live audiences and, in the process, recaptures crucial moments in French history.
Globes de Cristal Award for Best Play in 2019
** PLAY IN FRENCH **
Presenter / Producer: Theatre Raymond Kabbaz
Theater > Drama
Event Phone: 310-286-0553
Theatre Raymond Kabbaz
10361 Pico Boulevard
Los Angeles CA 90064
LA - Hollywood / Westside
Performance Dates: 9/13/2019 - 9/14/2019
Tickets are $40 for adults, $30 for students and $50 for premium seating.
Web Link for ticketing
Social Media or other Links: